Local News

Firefighters Respond to Mattress Fire

Russell City Fire DepartmentAt 11:55 PM Monday, the City of Russell Fire Department was dispatched to 435 West 7th Street in Russell for a mattress fire in the front yard of the residence according to Fire Chief Dylan Riedel.

En route, law enforcement advised that the items in the yard were close to the structure and the call was upgraded to a structure fire.

The fire originated inside a bedroom in the structure from a discarded cigarette said Riedel. The occupant of the home initially put the fire out with water and then carried the mattress into the front yard where the fire rekindled.

The Fire Department and law enforcement were able to extinguish the fire with fire extinguishers.

The home suffered minor smoke damage.

The cause of the fire was ruled as accidental said Riedel.

(Information courtesy City of Russell Fire Department.)

Read More Local News
K-State on KRSL AM-FM
Russell, KS weather