Local News

Russell Firefighters Respond to House Fire Sunday

FireThe Russell City Fire Department responded Sunday morning at about 8:40 to a report of a structure fire at 1454 North Kansas Street in Russell.

Upon arrival of fire crews, flames were showing on the outside of the house near the front door according to a press release from Fire Chief Shane Preston.

The occupants were out of the home when fire crews arrived. No injuries were reported at the time of the fire.

The fire was quickly extinguished and damage was contained to the area of origin.

The cause of the fire was due to an animal building a nest in the inner wall of the home and damaging the electrical wiring said Preston.

The nest was made up of grass and small twigs. These materials surrounded an electrical junction box. The electrical wiring arced and caught the nest materials on fire. A neighbor alerted the occupants of the home of the fire.

The Russell City Fire Department, Russell Police Department, Russell County EMS, Russell Water and Russell Electric Department all responded to the incident.

(Information courtesy Russell City Fire Department.)

Read More Local News
Broncos on KRSL
Russell, KS weather