Local News

Unattended Cooking Leads to Kitchen Fire

FireThe Russell City Fire Department responded to a house fire Thursday evening in Russell.

According to dispatch logs, at 5:21 PM Thursday, Russell Dispatch received a 911 call from a man reporting a house on fire at 367 West 1st Street.

Upon arrival of fire crews, smoke was showing from the roof vents and front door according to Fire Chief Shane Preston. The occupants were out of the home when fire crews arrived.

At 5:35 PM, Preston advised the fire was extinguished. He said the resident had been frying potatoes and left the residence to go to the store.

The fire caused heavy damage in the kitchen said Preston. The fire was contained to the kitchen, but there was smoke damage to the rest of the house.

There were no injuries.

Russell County EMS, Russell Police Officers, the Russell Electric Department, Russell and Ellsworth County Emergency Manager Keith Haberer, and the Russell Water Department also responded.

Read More Local News
Morning Show Banner
Russell, KS weather